Skip to main content

Interview: What The Fudge

                               Claire with her Great Taste Award for vanilla fudge

 What The Fudge creator and founder speaks to us at BeautyTies about her journey in creating such an impressive brand from scratch. The company has gone from strength to strength with impressive fudge creations and the best quality of products. So grab a cuppa, have some positivi-tea and enjoy our interview with Claire Brennan.


Beauty Ties: Hello Claire, thanks for joining us. How do you come up with the ideas for the different flavours and styles of the fudge?

 Claire : I don’t know how to explain it, they just kind of happen! I never really over think ideas, if an idea comes to me I act on it straight away and can’t rest until it’s perfected!

 Beauty Ties: How did you start making the fudge? Is it a family recipe? 

Claire: It all started when we had a new kitchen installed in 2014. I started doing more baking, and one day tried making fudge. It turned out ok, but I wanted it to be better. I made more and more batches, and when I was happy, started giving it to family and friends who said it was so good I should start selling it! So I got in touch with my local council, registered my kitchen and gained a 5 star hygiene inspection.

Beauty Ties: What made you decide that this is what you wanted to do, and did you ever think it would get this popular? 

Claire: It started out as a bit of extra money for the kids. We have four children, and at the time, our youngest was only 18 months old. I used to make small amounts when the older two were at school and the little two napping! I’d then use the money to pay for their clothes, shoes, after school clubs and music lessons. As time went by, we were able to treat the kids to weekends away and trips to exciting new places!

                      Claire with her husband Peter
                                                        Claire's beautiful family 
 

Beauty Ties: What did you want to be when you were younger?

Claire: I don’t really know. I always used to say a teacher, but I tried going down that road and realised it wasn’t really for me. I’d always felt a bit lost in myself until I started this business - it may sound silly, but it’s given me a purpose and my self confidence has grown a lot through having the business.

 Beauty Ties: How do you juggle family life and your company?

Claire: With difficulty. It is getting easier as the kids get older. They are aged 15, 12, 8 and 7. So all in full time education. Pre COVID-19, we would both work 6-4 and then go home and cook tea and be with the kids. Now I still work those hours, but Pete stays with them during the day and then we swap - he often works through the night!

 Beauty Ties: What is your dream for this company?

Claire: The ultimate dream would be to have a trustworthy team of staff that have the same passion and drive that we do. A team we could trust to run the business if we need time off or a holiday. I’ve even been thinking about taking on a little shop/cafe within the next few years.
                       What The Fudge Salted Caramel Wheel covered in Belgian chocolate
       
After five years and eight months, this small family business gained 40K followers!


Beauty Ties: What gets you by on bad fibromyalgia days? I understand what it’s like and it’s so difficult having bad pain.

Claire: Those are the worst days. When I want to do nothing more than snuggle and watch films. But unfortunately a lot of the time I don’t get chance. So I put on all my creams, eat some comfort food, take my medications and just do the best I can and try again tomorrow.

 Beauty Ties: What challenges have you been facing this year with Lockdown?

Claire: Firstly lack of ingredients! When we first went into lockdown, supermarkets began to limit the amount of products to 3 per person. At that time we needed around 60 blocks of butter every 4 days. So that was a challenge. We had to hunt down some new suppliers who could help us. We also had a big issue with delivery companies and delays with parcels. Such a stressful time. Luckily my lovely customers were very understanding.

BeautyTies: What advice would you give other who are thinking of starting up their own business?

Claire; First of all, and most importantly - be unique. You won’t stand out if you’re copying someone else’s work. It isn’t easy, days will be long and nights even longer. You’ll definitely need a strong work ethic or you won’t get anywhere. You need to put the hours in from the beginning, it’s taken us almost 6 years to get to the point we’re at now.
                                                 Claire holding the keys to the new unit
What The fudge Company logo on the wall

 
                                     

             Claire shows the comparison between the old and the new fudge pans.
 
Beauty Ties: What’s a typical working day like for you?

Claire: 6am -get up and go to work

6:30-2:30 stand making the fudge, no breaks at all, all the pans are staggered on a very specific time frame, if I took a break there would be disasters and burned batches.

2:30 - 4. I chop, bag and label all of the days makes and put away in the store room.

4 onwards I cook tea, spend time with the kids and have a bit of me time while Pete is at work and our eldest Millie packs all of your parcels!

 Beauty Ties: Who are your inspirations in life?

Claire: Definitely Steffi at The Chocolate Smiths. She works so hard and her ideas are extraordinary.
Anyone who works hard for what they want in life is an inspiration to me. Anything is possible if you are willing to work for it.

Beauty Ties: How do you like to relax?

Claire: I LOVE a hot bath or to listen to some music.

 Beauty Ties: What music are you listening to at the moment and tv shows you like to watch?

Claire: Anyone who knows me will know I am the biggest Beatles fan. I always listen them. I have a tattoo sleeve dedicated to them! But I also enjoy listening to Fleetwood Mac, Sam Fender, Harry Styles - I have quite a varied taste in music all depending on what mood I’m in! We don’t get chance to watch much tv, but always watch Coronation Street and we’ve just started watching Ozark on Netflix.

 BeautyTies: What beauty products do you like use?

Claire: I use Charlotte Tilbury magic cream every day without fail. I’ve done this for over a year and it has improved my skin so much. I only wear foundation a couple of times a year now!

 BeautyTies: What can’t you leave the house without?

Claire; My phone. Sad I know, but it is my work/life all in one place.

 BeautyTies: If you had three wishes, what would they be?

Claire: Tough one!
1) Things continue to go well with the business as we love what we do
2) All of our kids continue to be happy, healthy and appreciate all that we do for them
3) I wish for 2021 to be better than 2020!

 BeautyTies: What is your favourite place to be anywhere in the world?

Claire: Liverpool! Stemming from my love of The Beatles, I absolutely love it there. It feels like my second home. The people, the places, the memories. Just love it!

Beauty Ties;  "Thanks so much for speaking with us Claire. We wish you all the best with future plans for What The Fudge. We have been watching the transformation of your new workplace for the last month and its fascinating. The new fridges, freezers, electrics, flooring and roof. We love the staff room too, it's amazing to see a place transform. What the fudge is planning to relaunch on the 3rd of September."


   What The Fudge can be found here:  

My Fudge birthday cake this year coated in caramel flavour chocolate. The top had Nutella filling
The bottom fudge cake had salted caramel 

Our What The Fudge Christmas selection last year
The fudge Yule log filled with salted caramel and the gingerbread fudge men coated with Belgian chocolate.


UPDATE: What The Fudge has now changed it's name to Want The Fudge
You can also add the Want The Fudge app on your mobile. This gives you notifications when the next opening time is, to place an order. This business is going from strength to strength since we first interviewed claire. It's been amazing to follow her journey.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Haunting Memoir: Part one

 My story starts when I was a young child. I was born in Scotland but moved down to Somerset as a child. I loved it so much. I loved the flowers and the conkers I’d collect on the way to school. I remember all the frogs in my garden and how I'd name them. I moved twice down in England. The houses were always large and I’d get the rooms mixed up, trying to remember where to turn to find my bedroom. I would visit London where my relatives stayed. I loved the vibe of London. One visit to my Nans, we walked down to Church Street market and seeing so many interesting people. The one man with dreadlocks holding a large ghetto blaster on his shoulder playing Bob Marley passed me. I couldn’t get enough of the place. One stall had toys on it. I bought some wooden blocks and a handheld electronic mini piano. They were perfect mementos to remember my visit. When we returned to Scotland I unpacked and placed my electronic piano on my bedside table. It had colours on the notes and London Bridge

L’Oréal Revitalift

L’Oréal are an established company that have delivered quality beauty products for over a century . L’Oréal is a brand I can trust. I worked with L’Oréal by trying the Revitalift range of products over six months. This range offers more than the skincare I was using. I invite you to read more about Revitalift and my journey with this range. ~ Collette.      Revitalift is a range of products I had seen advertised and heard amazing feedback from others. I was thrilled when L’Oréal invited me to try these products over the lockdown months. I am in my 40’s and I struggled to find skincare that is effective. Lockdown has taken it’s toll on my skin. I have new wrinkles from tears and frustration like a lot of people. Firstly I tried their Revitalift Laser Renewal moisturiser. This was lovely and light on the skin. This moisturiser is the first moisturiser I used. It has a subtle colour to it that leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin. Revitalift Laser Renew is light on the skin. It gives skin a

Beauty Ties creator: Collette

  Hello BeauTies, I have always loved art from an early age. Taking photographs and drawing or painting. I have designed two wedding dresses for friends who got them made up. I've adored beauty products since I had my Victoria Plum nail polish and lip balm from Avon as a child. I love beauty products and how they make me feel. The colours and scents. I get so much joy from trying new products and photographing them. I skipped the afternoon one day at school and ended up in a movie. That was unexpected and it fuelled my passion for creativity and how things are made. It was an experience I will never forget. My name was taken by someone in the crew to go in the credits but when I saw the movie I was not on the credits, sadly. I will never forget the joy I got from being in it. Long days from early mornings and late finishes. The photo from the press shoot hangs in my hallway. Julia urged me to hang it up rather than feel ashamed of it. So it’s hanging up in my home for the first tim