Skip to main content

Interview: Estelle Rubio

.

Thank you for joining us for our interview with Estelle. It’s clear to us at Beauty Ties that this woman has established herself in the music world. Her smooth tones when she’s singing are almost hypnotic. Estelles’ work has also appeared on BBC and SKY. What struck us is her warmth and her openness. Estelle (Or Esty as she lets us call her) has worked with upcoming musicians and tutored more. She’s lectured in music production at London’s BIMM. So join us with a cuppa and relax while taking some time out of your day to read more about this fascinating and inspiring lady.


BeautyTies: What inspired you to do music? 

Estelle I grew up with young Bohemian parents and there was always music playing, so many genres and styles...I always felt much more could be communicated with music and words combined and once I discovered Electronic music I was hooked it felt so futuristic.


Beauty Ties: Who has been your inspiration in life?

Estelle: Wow so many people from different spheres, from Astronauts to Bjork! Anyone pushing limits tend to inspire me. But also stories and words from friends and strangers alike often really touch you and can be just as inspiring as the above.
Estelle doing yoga in Ibiza

Beauty Ties: What was your first breakthrough into music?

Estelle: Many years ago I started singing on House and Techno tracks in those days it was all white labels, I wonder how many have survived but this inspired Me to build my own studio. I worked as an engineer with some top acts, like Candy Dulfer and Lisa Loud and got to see the creative process from beginning to end and that women were really pushing things forwards! I’m still waiting for a breakthrough haha! 
Beauty Ties :The music industry must be hard to break into. How did it feel when you got your music on Spotify and ITunes? 

Estelle: I’ve had so many different experiences with big label releases and smaller labels (dance labels) still so much of it now is driven by social media, And actually most income now is derived from live and tours, performance basically whether online or in person but it’s still amazing there’s a big jukebox in the skies with my music there too.

BeautyTies: If you could give others any advice on the music industry, what would it be?

Estelle: Perseverance! And also knowing you can find a niche and make your living from music!


Beauty Ties: What items can’t you leave home without?

Estelle: My IPhone a lipgloss and door keys!


BeautyTies: If you had three wishes what would they be? 

Estelle: Unlimited wishes! Then I could have world peace, end wars and happiness and fulfilment for everyone I know and an amazing studio by Jan Morel and many guitars well obviously the list would be endless!


Beauty Ties: How have you been coping in lockdown?

Estelle: I was very busy at the start with Tech and music tech work...my geek girl guise! So I just hid in my studio with a lot of zoom conferences etc but now it feels like limbo and I’m missing all the projects I’d worked on for ages which were to be launched in 2020... I think everyone feels similarly though it’s such a universal scenario especially for musicians.


Beauty Ties: what has been the best advice you have ever been given?

Estelle: Be kind.


Beauty Ties: What is a standard day like for you?

Estelle: Get up quite late after a late studio session, walk the dog, return to studio, feed child, practice guitar ... try and write a hit!


Beauty Ties: You always look so stylish. Are you this glamorous at home or do you enjoy relaxing in comfy clothes? 

Estelle: Oh thanks :) I enjoy clothes and especially vintage outfits and my husband always tell me to wear more comfy clothes and take my shoes off! But sometimes when I’m inspired I look a wreck and am in the studio...honest!

Beauty Ties: We see your husband (Scott Maslan ) cooking food for others in lockdown with the charity You Donate We Deliver  initiative to support NHS workers during the coronavirus crisis. Does he cook for you at home? 

Estelle Yes he’s an amazing cook I wish he’d cook every night! 
         Estelle and her husband Scott Maslen
                     Estelle with her son Zak. We love this beautiful family photograph.


Beauty Ties: What is your perfect place to be, anywhere in the world?

Estelle: Ibiza my spiritual home as I’m half Spanish I love it there and especially the music the chilled deep HOUSE but with an edge, I’m working on that sound atm.


Beauty Ties: How do you choose to relax? 

Estelle: Def movies I need to rest from music at times!
       

Beauty Ties: What are your favourite beauty products?

Estelle: Boots no 7 for 20;years and Elemis oils and collagen cream, my saviours!

BeautyTies: Amazing choices of skincare! Thank you so much for joining us today Esty. We are excited to see where your journey with music takes you next. You are an inspiration to so many who want to follow their dreams and passions. You inspire us.

  

     You can find Estelle Rubio on the following platforms here:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Haunting Memoir: Part one

 My story starts when I was a young child. I was born in Scotland but moved down to Somerset as a child. I loved it so much. I loved the flowers and the conkers I’d collect on the way to school. I remember all the frogs in my garden and how I'd name them. I moved twice down in England. The houses were always large and I’d get the rooms mixed up, trying to remember where to turn to find my bedroom. I would visit London where my relatives stayed. I loved the vibe of London. One visit to my Nans, we walked down to Church Street market and seeing so many interesting people. The one man with dreadlocks holding a large ghetto blaster on his shoulder playing Bob Marley passed me. I couldn’t get enough of the place. One stall had toys on it. I bought some wooden blocks and a handheld electronic mini piano. They were perfect mementos to remember my visit. When we returned to Scotland I unpacked and placed my electronic piano on my bedside table. It had colours on the notes and London Bridge

L’Oréal Revitalift

L’Oréal are an established company that have delivered quality beauty products for over a century . L’Oréal is a brand I can trust. I worked with L’Oréal by trying the Revitalift range of products over six months. This range offers more than the skincare I was using. I invite you to read more about Revitalift and my journey with this range. ~ Collette.      Revitalift is a range of products I had seen advertised and heard amazing feedback from others. I was thrilled when L’Oréal invited me to try these products over the lockdown months. I am in my 40’s and I struggled to find skincare that is effective. Lockdown has taken it’s toll on my skin. I have new wrinkles from tears and frustration like a lot of people. Firstly I tried their Revitalift Laser Renewal moisturiser. This was lovely and light on the skin. This moisturiser is the first moisturiser I used. It has a subtle colour to it that leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin. Revitalift Laser Renew is light on the skin. It gives skin a

Beauty Ties creator: Collette

  Hello BeauTies, I have always loved art from an early age. Taking photographs and drawing or painting. I have designed two wedding dresses for friends who got them made up. I've adored beauty products since I had my Victoria Plum nail polish and lip balm from Avon as a child. I love beauty products and how they make me feel. The colours and scents. I get so much joy from trying new products and photographing them. I skipped the afternoon one day at school and ended up in a movie. That was unexpected and it fuelled my passion for creativity and how things are made. It was an experience I will never forget. My name was taken by someone in the crew to go in the credits but when I saw the movie I was not on the credits, sadly. I will never forget the joy I got from being in it. Long days from early mornings and late finishes. The photo from the press shoot hangs in my hallway. Julia urged me to hang it up rather than feel ashamed of it. So it’s hanging up in my home for the first tim