Skip to main content

BeautyTies creator: Julia

 


Hi everyone, Julia here! I thought it would be great to introduce myself to you all and my journey so far. Let’s start this from High School. My accomplishments were made from here and it formed who I am today. When I was 8, I was classed as a young carer for my Mum. When I was 12, I sat in Scottish Parliament with other MSPs to fight for rights for carers across Scotland (of all ages, backgrounds and circumstances). I don’t quite think my teachers believed me when I handed a note in to say I was debating with MPs, but that was just a typical day in the life of Julia! 


 
I was awarded a Queens Diamond Jubilee medal for leadership, as young carer. I was at a highland getaway with Fife Young Carers and we did various tasks. I was given this at the end.

From being a young carer, I was made an ambassador for all carers in my high school. I stood in front of every single staff member in my school to tell them exactly what issues we faced every day. My time at Fife Young Carers I appeared in their adverts and I was also was invited to the Queens Garden Party. It was such an honour for me to attend, I will never forget this. 

Myself with a gentleman who is a member of  The Royal Company of Archers. The Queens bodyguard on Scotland.

 When I was in school, I could not take to tests or exams. No matter how much I had studied, I just could not do it. I applied for college in my fifth year to study Events Management. I finally found an area I loved to work in. I had to pass one Higher exam with a C pass in either English or Business (easy, right...?) but I didn’t pass. The devastation was unreal. My dream of getting a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes were out of my reach. My Mum then told me I should phone the college and speak to someone to see if anything can be done to help; and so, I did. It so happens that the college had a clearing event to help those in my situation still get onto a course. My Dad drove me to the nearest campus, and I went in with no hope, and left with a vision. I was accepted onto my course but a level below and would progress onto it the following year.  In my first year of college, I loved the hospitality industry. There was so much to learn, and I mean more than I imagined. Our lecturer tells my class that there are scholarships going that the class should look into, so I did. Though I had no idea what scholarship I applied for, I did it anyway. Weeks later, I receive an email to tell me I was the person chosen as the winner of the scholarship! The college make the bistro available, and the manager of this scholarship does his speech. He then announces that for two days, I will get an entire Gleneagles experience as a customer, how staff live there and so much more. It is more than what most people would see and hear about. The experience was just out of this world.

Me receiving my scholarship. I learned so much at Gleneagles. It holds a place in my heart.

I was the college mascot sometimes too! It was so much fun.

Ready to meet people

 

Me with my awards at the College for my work. Not bad for a girl with no high school grades!

In my last year of studying (my HND) I joined the college’s student’ association as a women’s officer – then later Lead Equalities Officer – which was an amazing experience. I joined the board of the college and was able to see the college as a student and staff member. I wanted to do an event for International Women’s Day and raise money for Women’s Aid. By doing so, I had contacted a number of companies to come along: FRASAC, Women’s Aid, White Ribbon, Body Shop and more. The feedback was incredible, and I managed to raise £200 for the charity. From this, I had received an outstanding achievement award with the student’ association as someone that was recognised for the hard work I had put in. 

Awarding the cheque to Woman's Aid. I wish I could have made more but I only had four hours for the event.

 Now, since graduating with my HND in Events Management, I work at the college I also studied from. I am also studying my degree part time and life is just super busy! I am so thankful for everyone that saw my potential when I didn’t. Part of who I am and what I believe is to stick up for what is right. I could get knocked down a million times, but I will still get up. Thanks to my Mum and Dad for being rocks and guiding me through it all, I have every confidence that when I move out this year (I have already viewed a flat this week for the first time ever – yay!) I will be confident to take on any new challenge that comes my way. The blog is a great focus for me to do something different. I love beauty products. Even on zoom calls I need to make sure I look great for work and online conferences.

LOCKDOWN

I moved in with my elderly Nan who has Alzheimer's in lockdown. My family were trying to think of way to cater for her as her usual routine out to care home was stopped. I love my family so much and I moved in with her for a while to help look after and sorting out working from her home as she doesn't have broadband. My work was great at fixing broadband. It was juggling act and I  even did a job interview from her house and got it! 
I painted my nans nails. She used to get them done on her visits out at the care home.
Me with my nan. There was a group chat set up with family where I could send photos and updates how she was. These are the screenshots from the group chat. It is important to connect.

My dream came true and I got myself the Christian Louboutin shoes! I worked hard and got them.

                              I first wore these to The Ivy. 
                                                    Cocktails at The Ivy


I could have given up since the moment I knew (or thought I knew) I couldn’t go to college, but I didn’t. I wiped the tears, put on my mascara and fought. If I can do it - so can you! My mum taught me there is more than one path to where you want to go. It's true. Follow your own footsteps because you don't need to walk in someone else's. Work hard. Surround yourself with positive people who can acknowledge you and hear your voice. We started a BeautyTies Spotify account. On this you can hear the playlist we listen to in the car, music to relax or going out. More importantly, is the Survivor playlist. I made it up with my mum of tracks we connect with. When woman's voices are ignored in domestic abuse scenarios and they feel lost, listening to music can help. The strong messages. Stay strong, love deeply and be kind.


Spotify:    https://open.spotify.com/user/ozldx7i1memih73uvtm6isyrb?si=5O_fuQHaSQG_QkcJu84QOg


YouTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UCxxyd0U2AZKEzqc8UbQKYsQ


Pinterest: https://pin.it/1Wf4wqS


Twitter: https://twitter.com/beautyties?s=21


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Haunting Memoir: Part one

 My story starts when I was a young child. I was born in Scotland but moved down to Somerset as a child. I loved it so much. I loved the flowers and the conkers I’d collect on the way to school. I remember all the frogs in my garden and how I'd name them. I moved twice down in England. The houses were always large and I’d get the rooms mixed up, trying to remember where to turn to find my bedroom. I would visit London where my relatives stayed. I loved the vibe of London. One visit to my Nans, we walked down to Church Street market and seeing so many interesting people. The one man with dreadlocks holding a large ghetto blaster on his shoulder playing Bob Marley passed me. I couldn’t get enough of the place. One stall had toys on it. I bought some wooden blocks and a handheld electronic mini piano. They were perfect mementos to remember my visit. When we returned to Scotland I unpacked and placed my electronic piano on my bedside table. It had colours on the notes and London Bridge

L’Oréal Revitalift

L’Oréal are an established company that have delivered quality beauty products for over a century . L’Oréal is a brand I can trust. I worked with L’Oréal by trying the Revitalift range of products over six months. This range offers more than the skincare I was using. I invite you to read more about Revitalift and my journey with this range. ~ Collette.      Revitalift is a range of products I had seen advertised and heard amazing feedback from others. I was thrilled when L’Oréal invited me to try these products over the lockdown months. I am in my 40’s and I struggled to find skincare that is effective. Lockdown has taken it’s toll on my skin. I have new wrinkles from tears and frustration like a lot of people. Firstly I tried their Revitalift Laser Renewal moisturiser. This was lovely and light on the skin. This moisturiser is the first moisturiser I used. It has a subtle colour to it that leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin. Revitalift Laser Renew is light on the skin. It gives skin a

Beauty Ties creator: Collette

  Hello BeauTies, I have always loved art from an early age. Taking photographs and drawing or painting. I have designed two wedding dresses for friends who got them made up. I've adored beauty products since I had my Victoria Plum nail polish and lip balm from Avon as a child. I love beauty products and how they make me feel. The colours and scents. I get so much joy from trying new products and photographing them. I skipped the afternoon one day at school and ended up in a movie. That was unexpected and it fuelled my passion for creativity and how things are made. It was an experience I will never forget. My name was taken by someone in the crew to go in the credits but when I saw the movie I was not on the credits, sadly. I will never forget the joy I got from being in it. Long days from early mornings and late finishes. The photo from the press shoot hangs in my hallway. Julia urged me to hang it up rather than feel ashamed of it. So it’s hanging up in my home for the first tim