Skip to main content

Beauty Ties creator: Collette

 


Hello BeauTies, I have always loved art from an early age. Taking photographs and drawing or painting. I have designed two wedding dresses for friends who got them made up. I've adored beauty products since I had my Victoria Plum nail polish and lip balm from Avon as a child. I love beauty products and how they make me feel. The colours and scents. I get so much joy from trying new products and photographing them. I skipped the afternoon one day at school and ended up in a movie. That was unexpected and it fuelled my passion for creativity and how things are made. It was an experience I will never forget. My name was taken by someone in the crew to go in the credits but when I saw the movie I was not on the credits, sadly. I will never forget the joy I got from being in it. Long days from early mornings and late finishes. The photo from the press shoot hangs in my hallway. Julia urged me to hang it up rather than feel ashamed of it. So it’s hanging up in my home for the first time. I am also a Spotify addict thanks to Julia. There are lyrics throughout this introduction, from songs that have helped me. I adore using products from L'Oréal, NYX, Spectrum and many more which we show on our BeautyTies social media pages.  I am interested in people's stories and connecting with others. I wanted it to be about more than make-up. As we are more than make-up. We have a story. I want to connect with others and hear their journey through life.


 

Myself on the set of The Bruce. Explaining to my high school where I was that day was interesting.

                                    Oliver Reed and I on set of The Bruce.

This photograph was for The Bruce press shoot. I was holding Robert The Bruce's real sword. It was so heavy.
    

Me at The Bruce premiere after show party. I am standing with Lord Elgin, Sandy Welch & Ronnie Browne from The Corries.  The Wallace Clan surrounded us.


“I can be all the things you told me not to be. If you try to keep come at me I keep on flourishing.”- Ariana Grande God is a woman 

Inner strength

Having come from an abusive relationship and drug rape, I have written and re-written this piece. Why should I feel ashamed because of what my abuser did? I kept quiet for many years. It's important to connect with others who may have been through this and afraid to speak out. I put up with it and people turning a blind eye for their own vanity. That punch on my cheekbone that was so hard I fell backwards. The twisted wrist as I walked out the kitchen passed him. I had to have a bandage on it. Makeup covered the external pain and blotchy face from crying so when people saw me I acted like everything was normal. I want to help others know it isn't acceptable. I wanted to work with Woman’s aid. I donated hundreds of products over the years. When Julia was in college she raised hundreds of pounds for Woman’s Aid in college for International Woman’s day. I was so proud of her. There is an analogy about wolves and sheep. Like people. The sheep follow each other in groups and stay in their crowd huddled up. Do what the next one does. The wolves don’t worry about the opinions of sheep. Where they venture out on their own path, they may not have the same comfort as the sheep but they venture further and keep moving forward. As a teenager I’d be up a tree like an owl, watching everyone pass. The words “stop playing the victim” were continually used because the people I did tell, were incapable of constructing a sentence, to not only show compassion but understanding. So again, I kept quiet. “Stop playing the victim” was used as some odd catchphrase. So I muted myself. They genuinely couldn’t see I was a survivor! So I’m stronger and the abusers wouldn’t win - as they can break my body and mind, but my soul belongs to me. My faith has helped me. My soul is mine to love and laugh again! So if there are any women who think there is no way out, there is. There is happiness albeit in your own time. I listened to music that spoke to me. The lyrics would help me through terrible times and also ideal when you want to feel happy and thriving. A wise woman once told me "what is in the darkness - shall always come into the light. even if that takes time."
When the country went into lockdown in 2020 I wrote in notebooks about my trauma. Counselling services were suspended. That was tough as so much poured out. All the years of keeping feelings inside were now free. PTSD affected me in ways I didn’t expect. I kept smelling cigarettes when someone’s chewing the same gum my abuser chewed. I asked Julia if she was smoking and she told me she wasn’t and showed me the gum she was chewing. I smell cigarettes any time someone is chewing that brand of gum. I remember getting locked in to my flat and he would leave the flat, taking my keys so I was trapped. Writing my feelings down helped cope with my PTSD. After seven months of panic attacks at stupid times of the day, I needed my hair cut as it was so long but the hairdressers were closed. Then after washing my long hair, I realised I used it like a comfort blanket to hide behind. I decided I wanted to be free of it. I took scissors and cut it. I have to stipulate I watched a video on YouTube how to do it first! I felt if it went horribly wrong, nobody would see me anyway. I felt so free and not having to dry it for ages, was a nice feeling! Trauma affects the mind too. I forget things and people from my past. Apparently this is common in people who have survived trauma. I became disabled after the birth of my second child. When I had Julia I got an epidural in the wrong place, then given a second one soon after. I have battled pain in silence. I had Julia to help as a young carer and signed her up to Fife Young Carers where she thrived. So that was a massive change in my life and a struggle to adapt. I did it though. Time hasn't stopped and neither have I. I've learned that having the wrong people in your life impacts it greatly. Coulda shoulda woulda means nothing. I got through it. I got on with it by myself. Being the best parent for Julia came first and foremost. If she was upset, I would make sure her voice was heard. I couldn't ignore my children's voice if they needed support and help. I need crutches to walk when outside. (some bad days, I need them in the house) When Julia was six, I met my now husband, who is an incredible man. I made up a Survivor playlist on Spotify and it's music that has got me through the years or trauma. So if you have been through similar experiences, give it a listen. Music is the voice when we are muted. Making a noise without saying a word. Music has played a large part in my life and getting me through the worst of times. The music I've listened to will hopefully get others through it. BeautyTies Spotify page is linked at the bottom of this page. To the many women i've spoken to over the years, who exchanged their journey with me, I want to say thank you. I see you, I hear you and I believe you.


BeautyTies are on Spotify and I wanted to make this Survivor playlist. Others may get strength from it.


My life has been mainly online for years. I worked with Twitter Insiders which was fascinating for a couple of years. Its been great to connect with others.

I was part of a wonderful group of Twitter Insiders for a couple of years. It taught me a lot about the social network.


Throwback when my selfie was sent into space by Samsung in 2019.  This still stuns me. I love anything to do with space.


                                                   My 2020 lockdown haircut

I bid farewell to 2020 by getting my name on IMDB. The movie The Bruce I did as a teenager was updated. My life came full circle at the end of 2020. The acknowledgement that good things are allowed to happen. It was allowed to be done. Change, adapt, renew and life lessons learned. Rise up and stand united with all the other people. The men, women and children of abuse. We aren’t victims. We are survivors! We are still here. Use your voice and let it be heard. You aren’t alone. You will get through it. Put your name on a list for counselling now. I had to wait two years until I was seen, Let that sink in- that there are that many victims of rape, of every sex and age who are needing help. Who are raising people to 'normalise' this behaviour? I will put links to people you can call for help. You will get heard. You will survive. It isn't acceptable. Let us stop this.

“Freedom! Freedom! I can’t move, Freedom cut me loose. I break chains all by myself, won’t let my freedom rot in hell. I’m a keep runnin’ cause a winner don’t quit on themselves.” -Beyoncé Freedom





L'Oréal had me covered for skincare in lockdown. L'Oréal gifted me their skincare and it is beautiful. I did two campaigns with them in 2020, for their skincare and Wonder Water which is the best product I have used. My hair is longer since using it! Perfect for improving my haircut!



              Adding my own style on my disability with the crutches.

Year of  the Video calls

Bill Gates Virtual Book Tour for his book How To Avoid A Natural Disaster. The book arrived shortly after the viewing. It's fascinating and brutally honest.
Left-Right; President Obama talks with Isabel Wilkerson  / United Nations World Autism Event for Inclusion in the workplace. Challenges and Opportunities.


 "I build a home and wait for someone to tear it down

Then pack it up in boxes, head for the next town running

‘Cause I’ve got memories and travel like gypsies in the night!" - Alice Merton

Appreciate everything and expect nothing
I love sitting back and taking in my surroundings. The beauty of our home and the nature outside.
There is nothing better for the soul than sitting outside and listening to the owl in the tree, watching the cute bats flying around excitedly and the hedgehogs that walk about. It’s absolutely heavenly. The peaceful moments with  nature is everything I could wish for. I lay on my bed during the day in October 2020 while my husband worked in the lounge. Watching the leaves fall outside while the shadows of the leaves passing were giving me a fascinating shadow display on my furniture. Dancing shadows. Our garden was full of amber and red leaves. It was stunning. When we moved in we had two grey doves land in our garden. Nature is free and it's around us. so beautiful.

My husband and I watching the bats playing outside.
I found out that bats are impossible to photograph as they fly so fast. I could capture them from a video. Beautiful creatures.
One of the hedgehogs that visits our garden.

I have begun painting again. A friend gifted me paints and I found my passion again. Reset my life. It comes from place where I have my own freedom of expression, instead of being told what to do like a monkey on command. I have a fascination with auras and colours. My next idea is to paint the seasons. Expressive art is everything to me. I have no expectations from life and going with the flow brings amazing things my way. The key to life is happiness. Think about it. We all want to be happy. If it be wealth, security or love. Just being happy. A person could have all the riches of a king and be totally miserable. It’s learning how to appreciate the little things. The joy of simple things. People wrongly believe if you have nice things it automatically makes you a good person. It doesn’t. It is our actions that matter. How you make others feel. Material things are an expression of us but it shouldn’t be treated as a competition. Nobody ever says someone is a ‘nice person’ because of their choice of décor. Appreciate what you have. 

“We'll rise up

In spite of the ache

We'll rise up

And we'll do it a thousand times again” ~ Andra Day ‘Rise Up.’


WORKING WITH BEAUTY BRANDS

have been working with the L'Oréal brand for many years, It has been an absolute joy to try their products. They always make me feel confident. I love seeing how they advance and the high quality products they send, I know I can trust them.

My trusted L'Oréal products they gifted. Their cosmetics are simply stunning.

I am now working with NYX cosmetics too. So incredibly grateful, These NYX Epic Wear Liner. Metallic eye liner that is waterproof and fabulous.             

NYX Milky lipgloss, This formula hydrates the lips and is vegan! 

A piece for my art portfolio in high school. This was large and it was my view on the world and it's mysteries.
Aura painting I have done this year. My first time painting since high school. 

                             I love working with my daughter Julia. We have so many ideas for the blog.



Rape Crisis England and Wales: https://rapecrisis.org.uk/


woman's Aid England:  https://www.womensaid.org.uk/

Woman's Aid Scotland: /https://womensaid.scot/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Haunting Memoir: Part one

 My story starts when I was a young child. I was born in Scotland but moved down to Somerset as a child. I loved it so much. I loved the flowers and the conkers I’d collect on the way to school. I remember all the frogs in my garden and how I'd name them. I moved twice down in England. The houses were always large and I’d get the rooms mixed up, trying to remember where to turn to find my bedroom. I would visit London where my relatives stayed. I loved the vibe of London. One visit to my Nans, we walked down to Church Street market and seeing so many interesting people. The one man with dreadlocks holding a large ghetto blaster on his shoulder playing Bob Marley passed me. I couldn’t get enough of the place. One stall had toys on it. I bought some wooden blocks and a handheld electronic mini piano. They were perfect mementos to remember my visit. When we returned to Scotland I unpacked and placed my electronic piano on my bedside table. It had colours on the notes and London Bridge

L’Oréal Revitalift

L’Oréal are an established company that have delivered quality beauty products for over a century . L’Oréal is a brand I can trust. I worked with L’Oréal by trying the Revitalift range of products over six months. This range offers more than the skincare I was using. I invite you to read more about Revitalift and my journey with this range. ~ Collette.      Revitalift is a range of products I had seen advertised and heard amazing feedback from others. I was thrilled when L’Oréal invited me to try these products over the lockdown months. I am in my 40’s and I struggled to find skincare that is effective. Lockdown has taken it’s toll on my skin. I have new wrinkles from tears and frustration like a lot of people. Firstly I tried their Revitalift Laser Renewal moisturiser. This was lovely and light on the skin. This moisturiser is the first moisturiser I used. It has a subtle colour to it that leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin. Revitalift Laser Renew is light on the skin. It gives skin a