Skip to main content

Interview: The creator of Candy Cloud Katrina Anne



    


Candy Cloud is a stunning skincare range created by Katrina who wanted to create skincare that feels beautiful to use and is kind on the skin without the chemicals. Candy cloud is the most exciting range we have come across in years. The sugar scrubs double up as lip scrubs. We did this interview on social media and via email.

BeautyTies: Thank you for joining us today Katrina. What was your inspiration for starting your candy cloud ?

Katrina: Thank you so much for the opportunity to share my business and future vision for candy cloud! I launched the brand because I frequently suffer from dry/sensitive skin, and most drugstore products on the market were causing irritation rather than improvement. I was keen to avoid harsh chemical formulations, so I started making natural sugar exfoliants for my own personal use. These products have been an essential part of my skincare routine for a while, so I was excited to share and create my secret to soft, even skin with other people. All my products are handmade, vegan, and 100% natural and are suitable for all skin types. It is important for customers to know candy cloud is a unisex brand that believes and promotes inclusivity, thus absolutely everyone should give our products a try!


candy cloud Pumpkin Cream Sugar Scrub 
£8.99  for 250ml
              This scrub is gentle yet exfoliating and also double as a lip scrub. This is made with granulated cane sugar, coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, jojoba oil,  pumpkin extract, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, fennel & cloves. This was gifted to us by candy cloud.

BeautyTies: How did you come up with the name? It’s so cute! 

Katrina: I wanted my brand to make people smile, not only when using it but when talking about it or referring to candy cloud skin. For me, rainbows and clouds have always made me happy, no matter what circumstances I am in. I have always been fascinated with anything celestial, so I knew I needed that to be a key part of my brand. As for the candy… who doesn’t love candy?! I wanted my products to feel like a treat for the skin, which is why most of my scents are inspired by my favourite guilty pleasures!





 BeautyTies: What are the benefits of using sugar scrubs?

Katrina: Sugar scrub exfoliants, as supposed to salt scrubs, are less abrasive to the skin. Our skin cells regenerate, on average, every 27 days, therefore it is important we naturally exfoliate dead skin cells to make way for the new ones. If we don’t do this, our skin tends to look dull, tired, and uneven. Natural sugars, combined with essential oils, help to boost the skin’s natural radiance, and generally improve its appearance when used consistently over time. The sugars I use in my products are suitable for all skin types, from normal to dry, to sensitive combinations. 


BeautyTies: How many ingredients do you use to make your products? 

Katrina: The quantity of ingredients really depends on each formula, but on average I use around 5 oil types per product alongside the chosen sugar. Some of the oils range from jojoba oil, almond oil, rosehip oil, and vitamin E oil. All of the ingredients are carefully listed on each label so that the customer is aware of exactly what they are using on their skin.


BeautyTies: How long does it take to make each sugar scrub? 

Katrina: Producing and packaging a sugar scrub from scratch is generally a quick process. However, this is mainly because I’m familiar with what it involves, and I’m used to manufacturing anything from single to batch orders. I’d say on estimate, it would take me an hour to produce and finalise a single order. I naturally take time and care when producing my products to make sure they are made to the highest standard. I aim to dispatch either the same day as receiving an order or one business day later. 


BeautyTies: This year has been difficult for many businesses. What has it been like for candy cloud Beauty?

Katrina: Covid-19 has had a devastating impact on many businesses, one in some cases that cannot be reversed. It is why more than ever, we should support local businesses and sole traders who are likely to have been affected the most. Luckily for me, the pandemic was what gave me the confidence to launch my business and put my products to the test. Staying at home gave me a lot more time to play around with formulas, focus on branding, and market my products via social media. Having the opportunity to create my own brand has been so rewarding, I am incredibly proud of my efforts and everything I have achieved so far!


 

Candy cloud Bedtime sugar scrub formulated with Fresh Lavender, Blackberries, Camomile, Lilac and Patchouli. 


BeautyTies: Have there been any obstacles creating your business? 

Katrina: Pretty much everything I have done for candy cloud skin has been a new experience for me, and some of it has definitely been challenging! I am such a perfectionist, so everything from formulations, labelling, to packaging had to be exactly as I envisioned it. I am fortunate enough to have insightful family and friends who have helped and advised me whenever I have needed it. Without the support and encouragement of those around me I definitely would have struggled to launch my business and make bold decisions for my brand. 


 

BeautyTies: We would love to know if you have a favourite product that you create and use? You have so many gorgeous creations! 

Katrina: My favourite product is probably the strawberry milkshake sugar scrub. Using this formula feels so luxurious and it smells good enough to eat! I used this product regularly throughout the summer months, and it felt like an absolute dream on my skin. It contains organic strawberries and fresh strawberry cream extract, so it really feels like a seasonal treat! 

                            Strawberry Milkshake sugar scrub which is Katrina's favourite


BeautyTies: How do you decide the scent of the sugar scrubs? 

Katrina: As mentioned, I have based my first few launches around candy/sweet treats that I enjoy the most! I also take into account the time of year and what scents/flavours might be popular or on trend. I have so many exciting ideas for the future, and for my body soufflé range. I cannot wait to get creating and share what I have planned. Make sure to follow @candycloudskin on Instagram as I regularly do giveaways and polls, where customers and followers can have a say on the next products launches!


 

BeautyTies: Is candy cloud creating any seasonal products i.e. Christmas / Summer/ Autumn?

Karina: Of course! I absolutely love the seasons and the changes they bring to our mood/cravings. Currently we have a limited-edition pumpkin cream sugar scrub which contains natural pumpkin extract and spices. We will also be launching a birthday cake scrub November 1st to coincide with my birthday month, and a Christmas cookie scrub which will also be released early November! The latter two launches make perfect gifts for family/friends, so definitely keep them in mind if you’re struggling for a present idea or a stocking filler!


 



BeautyTies: Do you have any advice to others who are thinking of starting up their business? 

Katrina: Just go for it. I started my business three months ago and it was the best thing I ever did! It wasn’t just about the sales, I needed a venture to channel my creativity and work on something that I can call my own. It can be slightly intimidating at first, but if you have the passion and the drive to make it succeed then you can do great things with your business. The feeling I get when people say they love to use my products is immeasurable, that reason alone makes everything I do for candy cloud skin worthwhile. 




 

 Birthday Cake Sugar Scrub formulated with Vitamin E, Almond Oil, Butter Extract, Organic Sugar Sprinkles, Natural fragrance oils.



BeautyTies: What beauty/skincare essentials can’t you leave your house without? 

Katrina: Oh, this is a hard one! Anyone who knows me, knows I like to carry a lot in my handbag. I’d say at the moment it’s definitely hand cream, my Fenty gloss bomb in the shade Fu$$y, and a lipliner! You can’t go wrong with a little nude lipliner in your purse. 


 BeautyTies: We love your Pumpkin cream sugar scrub. In fact, we are addicted to it! Do you have a best seller?  

Katrina: Thank you! I’d say being in the fall/autumn season, the pumpkin cream is definitely a best seller right now. It contains fresh pumpkin extract and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, fennel, and cloves! It is also one of the most popular choices to be used as a lip scrub, which is probably because it smells so rich and creamy! 



BeautyTies: What would be your dream goal for candy cloud? 

Katrina: The dream goal for candy cloud would be to have at least five different skincare products in our ranges, currently we only sell the sugar scrubs and the body soufflés. I’d also like to consider potentially branching out to candy cloud makeup because that’s also a big passion of mine. I’d love to create go-to, cute, travel-sized products that people cannot be without! After only launching three months ago, sales are going far better than I expected, perhaps 2021 will be the start of candy cloud makeup.



BeautyTies: We couldn’t do this without having some beauty questions - especially as we met on a beauty group on Instagram. What skincare products do you use? 

Katrina: There are so many skincare brands that I adore and use on a daily basis. In terms of drugstore choices, I absolutely love The Body Shop’s carrot wash which uses organic, wonky carrots and has zero waste with its ingredients! I’m also obsessed with their drops of light liquid peel, which is great whenever my skin needs extra TLC. 


 


Katrina: In terms of high-end choices, I absolutely love the GLAMGLOW thirsty mud water treatment, it is one of the best leave-on masks I have ever tried. I’d say my favourite skincare brands at the moment have to be those mentioned above alongside Rituals, Mario Badescu, and Pixi!


 


BeautyTies: What are your favourite makeup products? 

Katrina: Below are my favourite beauty buys, products I cannot go without! These products are amazing for anyone with dry/sensitive skin.

Primer: NYX Honey Dew Me Up, or Ciate’s Watermelon Burst.

Foundation: Maybelline Super Stay 24hr Foundation.

Concealer: Elf’s Hydrating Camo Concealer or Urban Decay’s All Nighter.

Setting Powder: Fenty Beauty Banana or Lottie London Warm Translucent. 

Blusher: Bare Minerals Gen Nude or any of the Milani Blushes!

Bronzer/Contour: Huda Beauty Tantour or Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer.

Highlighter: The Balm’s Mary Loumanizer or The Iconic London Glow Spray.

Mascara: Maybelline Lash Sensational.

Lipstick: Urban Decay Stark Naked & NARS Tolede.


BeautyTies: How would you describe your signature scent? 

Katrina: I love strong, oriental perfumes with a hint of musk or sandalwood! My absolute favourite perfumes have to be Jean Paul Gaultier’s Classique, Versace Crystal Noir, and Calvin Klein’s Deep Euphoria!  My everyday scents usually contain vanilla, amber, or something with a hint of citrus like Ghost’s classic perfume or Rituals Happy Buddha Fragrance Mist. 


BeautyTies: How important is it to support independent businesses such as yourself? 

Katrina: I think it’s super important, when shopping small you know a lot of love and care has gone into every stage of your purchase. Wherever I can, I try to shop as local, as organically, and as sustainably as possible. Doing this not only supports my community, but it helps protect our environment from unnecessary waste caused by a lot of conglomerate brands. If someone is unsure how to support small, try visiting craft or farm markets in your local area. Shopping on platforms such as Etsy and Shopify, also helps individuals and sole traders build a regional customer base and gain their share of the market. Small businesses definitely have unique buys, and they should not be dismissed when looking for high quality products. 


BeautyTies: Katrina we would like to thank you for taking the time to speak with us today. It’s been fascinating to find out more about the beautiful products you have created. 

Katrina: Thank you again for choosing to write about my brand. I really appreciate being featured on your blog, and I hope to work with BeautyTies again in the future. If anyone has enjoyed reading this piece and wants to follow updates, then make sure to follow @candycloudskin on Instagram! Our website will be launching very soon but until then, feel free to direct message me regarding orders and any queries that you may have! Thank you very much – Katrina Bagdi / @kattrinanne (owner of candy cloud skin).


Beauty Ties would like to thank Katrina for her time and gifting us the Pumpkin Cream Sugar Scrub to try. Julia and I couldn't believe how soft the scrub leaves our skin. It's left our skin incredibly hydrated. Candy Cloud products are affordable too and would make a great stocking filler or gift for someone. 

 Candy Cloud Beauty:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Haunting Memoir: Part one

 My story starts when I was a young child. I was born in Scotland but moved down to Somerset as a child. I loved it so much. I loved the flowers and the conkers I’d collect on the way to school. I remember all the frogs in my garden and how I'd name them. I moved twice down in England. The houses were always large and I’d get the rooms mixed up, trying to remember where to turn to find my bedroom. I would visit London where my relatives stayed. I loved the vibe of London. One visit to my Nans, we walked down to Church Street market and seeing so many interesting people. The one man with dreadlocks holding a large ghetto blaster on his shoulder playing Bob Marley passed me. I couldn’t get enough of the place. One stall had toys on it. I bought some wooden blocks and a handheld electronic mini piano. They were perfect mementos to remember my visit. When we returned to Scotland I unpacked and placed my electronic piano on my bedside table. It had colours on the notes and London Bridge

L’Oréal Revitalift

L’Oréal are an established company that have delivered quality beauty products for over a century . L’Oréal is a brand I can trust. I worked with L’Oréal by trying the Revitalift range of products over six months. This range offers more than the skincare I was using. I invite you to read more about Revitalift and my journey with this range. ~ Collette.      Revitalift is a range of products I had seen advertised and heard amazing feedback from others. I was thrilled when L’Oréal invited me to try these products over the lockdown months. I am in my 40’s and I struggled to find skincare that is effective. Lockdown has taken it’s toll on my skin. I have new wrinkles from tears and frustration like a lot of people. Firstly I tried their Revitalift Laser Renewal moisturiser. This was lovely and light on the skin. This moisturiser is the first moisturiser I used. It has a subtle colour to it that leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin. Revitalift Laser Renew is light on the skin. It gives skin a

Beauty Ties creator: Collette

  Hello BeauTies, I have always loved art from an early age. Taking photographs and drawing or painting. I have designed two wedding dresses for friends who got them made up. I've adored beauty products since I had my Victoria Plum nail polish and lip balm from Avon as a child. I love beauty products and how they make me feel. The colours and scents. I get so much joy from trying new products and photographing them. I skipped the afternoon one day at school and ended up in a movie. That was unexpected and it fuelled my passion for creativity and how things are made. It was an experience I will never forget. My name was taken by someone in the crew to go in the credits but when I saw the movie I was not on the credits, sadly. I will never forget the joy I got from being in it. Long days from early mornings and late finishes. The photo from the press shoot hangs in my hallway. Julia urged me to hang it up rather than feel ashamed of it. So it’s hanging up in my home for the first tim