Skip to main content

Distorted Reality Of Beauty

Firstly we want to say thank you for clicking on this to read. We haven’t been blogging for long. We understand the blogging community is ‘White noise.’ One thing we know is the ‘perfect’ airbrushed photographs across social media isn’t healthy. We don’t ‘live for the ‘gram.’  We are doing this because it’s fun and we love beauty products. Ironically companies don’t tend to want to collaborate with people unless you have over five  thousand followers. How is anyone supposed to notice anyone else? Trust me -if Maya Angelou started a blog up that had just five people - it would be the most incredible and valuable blog ever made. We all have a voice. We can speak a thousand words, buy followers and shout from the rooftops and it wouldn’t make a difference. Life isn’t all candyfloss and glitter. Although, trust us when we say it would be fabulous if it was. We love unique people. People with personality and their own flair. We love Chanel but live in a council house! The weird social ladder that is supposed to encase us and hold us back- it can be broken. Nobody is perfect looking. (Although Cara Delevingne, Gigi Hadid & Lisa snowdon are pretty much perfection.) We do know however  even these women will have days they feel dreadful about themselves. That’s okay! We have had body issues and pick out bits of us we wish we could change. Why aren’t we living in the moment? The saying “Life is Short” is true. Loving ourselves isn’t shameful. There’s a difference between understanding ourselves and being confident compared to being arrogant and demanding attention. It took us a while to understand that. We have both cried looking in the mirror or catching a glimpse of ourselves walking passed a window and wishing we were home in pjs. Comfort zones and zen zones are vital for us all to get through the day. A place to retreat and put on pjs and hair swept back in a plait. How many of you feel confident, once your hair and make up is pretty then go out and feel completely out of place? Wishing you looked like others around you? 
      One thing we want to say is ALL of us feel this way at some point. We believe if someone looks good tell them and spread the positivity. Release those endorphins like glitter onto other people. We aren’t needing to conform to be “accepted.” Be yourself. 
  

Collette:  I grew up thinking that if anyone gave positive  compliments, it was wrong. Now I’m in my 40’s I could have done with that confidence. How many of us shake our head no or don’t respond if someone says something nice? I do it all the time. It’s okay to say “Thank you. That’s kind.” This negative way of living has kept me hating myself. I don’t have full length mirrors in my bedroom for a reason. I’m my own worst troll. I trolled myself before trolling was even a thing. I hide away. I get anxiety being out and it’s worse in busy places. My height at 5ft9 doesn’t help me in wanting to hide away. I vowed growing up and into adulthood that if I ever have children they will know it’s okay to be happy. We all have bad days but it’s important we get over it. Especially as everyone feels the same. We can have expensive taste but live in a council house. Why stay into the little labels people give us, just because it’s easier for them to cope? I’ve never been one to conform due to feeling so socially awkward. A billion plus words in the social networks but how many resonate with us? Surely using our voices for positivity will make a difference in someone’s day. Truth of the matter is we aren’t flawless. We don’t look like dolls. We have spots, pores, messy hair. We can’t apply make up like it’s been done by an app. Truth is we are all unique. Beauty is what we make it. I have friends of various backgrounds, colour, sexual orientation and nationality. Beauty is inclusive in all those things.
It is that simple. Let’s just talk about this. I see beautiful people every day. I don’t feel jealousy - I think they look nice and wonder how they managed to put mascara on without looking like they sneezed halfway through. (This happens to me more times than not!) We aren’t perfect. Just ourselves.

Julia: I feel nowadays people aspire to be like a fake post or a fake Instagram account. They go on Instagram and see an airbrushed, altered image they want to be like without realising it is fake. Nowadays society is if you don’t have perfect eyebrows or lashes then you don’t fit in to the standard. Why aren’t we breaking that barrier??! 

We talk about it being 2019 and so much has changed for the better all the time but has it really? Why is it in the future we aspire to be the exact same as everyone else? A clone. A Barbie doll. If it’s like this now I cannot imagine how bad it’s going to be when I’m even older with kids and how their image will be seen or how they’ll be made to feel. 

We need to stop this social “acceptance” and understand that just because people want to look different or be different to express who they are, it doesn’t actually make them different. They’re still the same as you and I, so treat them like they are. We all still feel and words can go further than you think and can stick with someone for a long time.

                                   Let’s change it up.
                                       BeauTies 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Haunting Memoir: Part one

 My story starts when I was a young child. I was born in Scotland but moved down to Somerset as a child. I loved it so much. I loved the flowers and the conkers I’d collect on the way to school. I remember all the frogs in my garden and how I'd name them. I moved twice down in England. The houses were always large and I’d get the rooms mixed up, trying to remember where to turn to find my bedroom. I would visit London where my relatives stayed. I loved the vibe of London. One visit to my Nans, we walked down to Church Street market and seeing so many interesting people. The one man with dreadlocks holding a large ghetto blaster on his shoulder playing Bob Marley passed me. I couldn’t get enough of the place. One stall had toys on it. I bought some wooden blocks and a handheld electronic mini piano. They were perfect mementos to remember my visit. When we returned to Scotland I unpacked and placed my electronic piano on my bedside table. It had colours on the notes and London Bridge

L’Oréal Revitalift

L’Oréal are an established company that have delivered quality beauty products for over a century . L’Oréal is a brand I can trust. I worked with L’Oréal by trying the Revitalift range of products over six months. This range offers more than the skincare I was using. I invite you to read more about Revitalift and my journey with this range. ~ Collette.      Revitalift is a range of products I had seen advertised and heard amazing feedback from others. I was thrilled when L’Oréal invited me to try these products over the lockdown months. I am in my 40’s and I struggled to find skincare that is effective. Lockdown has taken it’s toll on my skin. I have new wrinkles from tears and frustration like a lot of people. Firstly I tried their Revitalift Laser Renewal moisturiser. This was lovely and light on the skin. This moisturiser is the first moisturiser I used. It has a subtle colour to it that leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin. Revitalift Laser Renew is light on the skin. It gives skin a

Beauty Ties creator: Collette

  Hello BeauTies, I have always loved art from an early age. Taking photographs and drawing or painting. I have designed two wedding dresses for friends who got them made up. I've adored beauty products since I had my Victoria Plum nail polish and lip balm from Avon as a child. I love beauty products and how they make me feel. The colours and scents. I get so much joy from trying new products and photographing them. I skipped the afternoon one day at school and ended up in a movie. That was unexpected and it fuelled my passion for creativity and how things are made. It was an experience I will never forget. My name was taken by someone in the crew to go in the credits but when I saw the movie I was not on the credits, sadly. I will never forget the joy I got from being in it. Long days from early mornings and late finishes. The photo from the press shoot hangs in my hallway. Julia urged me to hang it up rather than feel ashamed of it. So it’s hanging up in my home for the first tim