Skip to main content

Interview: Jo Jewett



Jo Jewett is a make-up artist who trained in Paris and became Chief Make-Up Artist for Armani. She believes woman should feel comfortable in their own skin. Jo has worked with Princess Diana, Princess Alexandra, Madonna, Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Delores Hope and more. We have followed Jo for a couple of years now and her friendly demeanour and vast knowledge of make-up, makes her one woman in the industry, that everyone of all ages should follow and indeed learn from!


What enticed you to get involved in doing make-up professionally?

I was quite plain as a girl, makeup was miraculous to me - as a way of enhancing my fair skin, eyes and face. I slipped into being a pro makeup artist as opportunities presented themselves.


Your clientele is impressive. Do you have one person you worked with who was your favourite?

My favourite client was Delores Hope ( Bob Hopes wife and 60’s comedy icon ) we became friends post makeup class session - over G&T’s in Claridges. She introduced me to her friend Barbra Streisand and referrals continued with Bette Midler - Barbra’s friend ..


When coronavirus hit the U.K., a lot of businesses had to stop. How did it affect your work, and how have your recovered from it? 

The virus devastated my plans for a tour, the launch at Chatsworth House had to be cancelled along with plans for all live events. I now concentrate on virtual and group training. Sadly the years of cancellations have deeply affected my business - but on a positive note I believe it’s made us all aware of the importance of family and friends.

                    Jo always works hard and is regularly online doing live Q&A with her followers. 


If you could change anything about the beauty industry, what would it be? 

I would certainly like the industry to be more representative of the beauty in imperfections, in all age groups, and stop only showing unachievable perfect filtered images. Also to create a Pro Age approach to our seriously underserved market - women over 40 - who don’t want to look like anyone other than themselves, but better.

You speak passionately about why women shouldn’t be applying make-up the same way they did as a teenager. I now understand why, having done your class. If you could change anyones make-up,  who would it be and why? 

What we wear on our face has to reflect ageless beauty and it has to be revisited as we age. It’s important to re-edit textures and colours to reflect natural beauty. I wish I could have grabbed Theresa May, for many reasons, but her makeup was severe. Fuchsia lips, say no more.


What is your go-to make up brands you use and recommend? 

I have many favourite brands, always trying to keep it simple for my clients. I have found a Pro Age mid range company in Studio10 which I use as a base kit. I recently discovered some great colours from Lookfantastic - Two Faced eye shadow pallet, Nars, Mac and Clarins. However, I am always testing new products.

Jo has a beauty book available to purchase, This impressive book teaches the best way to apply make- up and working with your eyes and hair colour as well as skin tone.


Who do you think always looks looks fabulous and has a good look? 

I love Jerry Hall, she is and always has been undoubtedly beautiful, she has not given in to the pressure of the knife or the needle. She has adapted her makeup well, she is a strong independent woman and that shines past lines and wrinkles.


Is there any make-up faux pas we should avoid past 40? 

Wearing too much makeup over 40 is the biggest faux pas. Makeup should be strategically placed and blended for optimum results.


Self-care is important. What do you do to relax? 

Swimming is my go to, sadly I have a problem with my knee so missing it. I also potter about in the garden and entertain a lot. Cooking is my 2nd love.

What is your favourite place in the world to be and makes you happy?

I love Corfu. Discovered by me aged 18! A few decades ago. We were lucky to live there for a year and bought some land, I love the olive trees, smells and beauty of the people and the Island.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Haunting Memoir: Part one

 My story starts when I was a young child. I was born in Scotland but moved down to Somerset as a child. I loved it so much. I loved the flowers and the conkers I’d collect on the way to school. I remember all the frogs in my garden and how I'd name them. I moved twice down in England. The houses were always large and I’d get the rooms mixed up, trying to remember where to turn to find my bedroom. I would visit London where my relatives stayed. I loved the vibe of London. One visit to my Nans, we walked down to Church Street market and seeing so many interesting people. The one man with dreadlocks holding a large ghetto blaster on his shoulder playing Bob Marley passed me. I couldn’t get enough of the place. One stall had toys on it. I bought some wooden blocks and a handheld electronic mini piano. They were perfect mementos to remember my visit. When we returned to Scotland I unpacked and placed my electronic piano on my bedside table. It had colours on the notes and London Bridge

L’Oréal Revitalift

L’Oréal are an established company that have delivered quality beauty products for over a century . L’Oréal is a brand I can trust. I worked with L’Oréal by trying the Revitalift range of products over six months. This range offers more than the skincare I was using. I invite you to read more about Revitalift and my journey with this range. ~ Collette.      Revitalift is a range of products I had seen advertised and heard amazing feedback from others. I was thrilled when L’Oréal invited me to try these products over the lockdown months. I am in my 40’s and I struggled to find skincare that is effective. Lockdown has taken it’s toll on my skin. I have new wrinkles from tears and frustration like a lot of people. Firstly I tried their Revitalift Laser Renewal moisturiser. This was lovely and light on the skin. This moisturiser is the first moisturiser I used. It has a subtle colour to it that leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin. Revitalift Laser Renew is light on the skin. It gives skin a

Beauty Ties creator: Collette

  Hello BeauTies, I have always loved art from an early age. Taking photographs and drawing or painting. I have designed two wedding dresses for friends who got them made up. I've adored beauty products since I had my Victoria Plum nail polish and lip balm from Avon as a child. I love beauty products and how they make me feel. The colours and scents. I get so much joy from trying new products and photographing them. I skipped the afternoon one day at school and ended up in a movie. That was unexpected and it fuelled my passion for creativity and how things are made. It was an experience I will never forget. My name was taken by someone in the crew to go in the credits but when I saw the movie I was not on the credits, sadly. I will never forget the joy I got from being in it. Long days from early mornings and late finishes. The photo from the press shoot hangs in my hallway. Julia urged me to hang it up rather than feel ashamed of it. So it’s hanging up in my home for the first tim