Skip to main content

Small Changes - Big Impact

 

BeautyTies decided to make small changes in things we buy. It's no secret we love nature so we thought why not protect it? The small changes can be helpful in long run. Here are some companies we use and ended up becoming ambassadors for a couple of them, we admire them so much!

SUPERFLY SOAP

At the start of 2020 we made a switch from bottled liquid soap to solid hand soap. This may sound futile but we were horrified at learning the bottles we were using couldn’t be recycled! It was the best switch we ever made. We started using a company called Superfly soap.  You can order their soaps wrapped in biodegradable faux plastic wrappings or naked and wrapped in brown paper to be transported safely. We found that one bar of hand soap lasted months! So it was more economical too. We were so impressed by Superfly Soap, we interviewed the creator of it, Lisa. Later the following year we became ambassadors for Superfly Soap. This is a company to be proud of. Lisa  makes her skincare, dog soaps, face and body products by hand in an eco-friendly workshop. It’s nice to be able to use her products and they aren’t wasteful. Superfly Soap is also kind on the skin with no nasty chemicals. Our favourite is the Turkish Delight soap. We love the scent. Julia likes the shampoo soap and conditioner bar. These are great if you travel and staying overnight. The prices are affordable and their skincare has won awards and appeared in magazines such as OK! and The Sunday Post. Superfly lip balm is lovely too.

Superfly gifted this Regenerate Face Oil. It is absolutely beautiful on skin! It's calming on skin and leaves it hydrated, smooth and youthful. This is a skincare must-own item.

SUPERFLY SOAP WEBSITE: Superfly Soap

Ecover

Ecover is the Banksy of home cleaning brands. Haven’t heard of them before? - once you try them, you will continue to use them as we have. Ecover gifted us various washing-up liquids to try in 2021. My husband wasn’t sold on the fact it is made from plants. No chemicals that can harm our bodies. Ecover were so sure of their brand being a kinder and a more efficient way to wash dishes - they pasted their formula for their phosphate free washing powder on boards for other companies to follow!  They also make laundry products and household cleaners.  They wanted to create filling stations so you can top up your bottles once they are finished. Sadly, the supermarkets said the public weren’t ready for this, yet they continue to sell products that can’t be recycled. We hope to see more companies changing the way they produce cleaning products that work and aren’t linked to cancer causing chemicals. Ecover products are available from supermarkets and Amazon now!

Ecover website: Ecover

 

This is superb that this many customers are refilling their bottles at the refill stations!




Earth Candle

Earth Candle is created by Hannah. A mother who wanted to make a difference in the world. Her soy wax candles smell absolutely beautiful and her mission from creating home scents, was to raise funds for the Amazon rainforest. For every candle sold = one tree planted. We have been impressed by this company and the candles are made from recycled glass. Hannah wanted to capture the feeling of calm with her candles. They started being made from her kitchen. Each eco-friendly candle consists of: 

Glass jars and aluminium lids - that can be infinitely recycled

Sustainably grown soy wax - which is biodegradable and non-toxic

Cruelty-free and vegan fragrance oils - to make your candles smell exquisite

Paper labels - made from 100% recycled waste

  Hannah has accomplished her mission and is growing her brand that now creates Eco Reed diffusers. We are proud to be an ambassador for this company too! We got test her new Reed diffusers and they give the most lovely warming fresh scent around the home. Our favourite is the Sage and Sea Salt in our bathroom. We use the English Pear and Freesia on our upper hallway. It's delightful to smell as we go upstairs. One diffuser was gifted to us and one candle.

Earth Candle Co: https://www.earthcandleco.com/



SMART METER

We heard about smart meters being installed in homes when they first came out. During our house move and Covid arriving, we have now got a smart meter installed. It’s incredibly addictive when you first get one. To view how much electric and gas we use. It’s fascinating. It is a good way to show us visually how long we are in showers for ! It’s summer at the moment so we aren’t using a lot of gas at all but we know that will change due to the cold impacting my disability. If my body gets cold; my pain levels are worse. I use microwave heatpacks  as was discussed in my previous post Habituate: Pain Management. I can assure you I will be wrapping up warm in cosy jumpers and drinking tea to keep warm. The power the kettle uses shocked us too. It’s odd when you take for granted what we have around us. Once we start learning about how much power we use, we adapt with it. The best move we made was getting a Smart Meter. Look to the provider you are with to get one of these helpful devices.

This was an experiment my husband did when we had it installed. He got me to do a before and after photo of what happens when he switches the shower on! It dropped back down of course, when he turned it off again. 

Plantlet Culture

We came across Plantlet Culture on our Twitter page. We have been captivated by it and having an autistic child in the home, they loved this! Plantlet Culture gifted us this Pea to grow. There are many varieties to purchase. This company helps teach STEM subjects in school. The Pea we were gifted will grown bigger than we can eat it. This is wonderful for everyone at an age. We grow our own vegetable and fruit in our garden so this makes a wonderful  addition to that.

Plantlet Culture Website: Plantlet Culture Website 

Plantlet Culture Etsy Page: PlantletCulture - Etsy UK






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Haunting Memoir: Part one

 My story starts when I was a young child. I was born in Scotland but moved down to Somerset as a child. I loved it so much. I loved the flowers and the conkers I’d collect on the way to school. I remember all the frogs in my garden and how I'd name them. I moved twice down in England. The houses were always large and I’d get the rooms mixed up, trying to remember where to turn to find my bedroom. I would visit London where my relatives stayed. I loved the vibe of London. One visit to my Nans, we walked down to Church Street market and seeing so many interesting people. The one man with dreadlocks holding a large ghetto blaster on his shoulder playing Bob Marley passed me. I couldn’t get enough of the place. One stall had toys on it. I bought some wooden blocks and a handheld electronic mini piano. They were perfect mementos to remember my visit. When we returned to Scotland I unpacked and placed my electronic piano on my bedside table. It had colours on the notes and London Bridge

L’Oréal Revitalift

L’Oréal are an established company that have delivered quality beauty products for over a century . L’Oréal is a brand I can trust. I worked with L’Oréal by trying the Revitalift range of products over six months. This range offers more than the skincare I was using. I invite you to read more about Revitalift and my journey with this range. ~ Collette.      Revitalift is a range of products I had seen advertised and heard amazing feedback from others. I was thrilled when L’Oréal invited me to try these products over the lockdown months. I am in my 40’s and I struggled to find skincare that is effective. Lockdown has taken it’s toll on my skin. I have new wrinkles from tears and frustration like a lot of people. Firstly I tried their Revitalift Laser Renewal moisturiser. This was lovely and light on the skin. This moisturiser is the first moisturiser I used. It has a subtle colour to it that leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin. Revitalift Laser Renew is light on the skin. It gives skin a

Beauty Ties creator: Collette

  Hello BeauTies, I have always loved art from an early age. Taking photographs and drawing or painting. I have designed two wedding dresses for friends who got them made up. I've adored beauty products since I had my Victoria Plum nail polish and lip balm from Avon as a child. I love beauty products and how they make me feel. The colours and scents. I get so much joy from trying new products and photographing them. I skipped the afternoon one day at school and ended up in a movie. That was unexpected and it fuelled my passion for creativity and how things are made. It was an experience I will never forget. My name was taken by someone in the crew to go in the credits but when I saw the movie I was not on the credits, sadly. I will never forget the joy I got from being in it. Long days from early mornings and late finishes. The photo from the press shoot hangs in my hallway. Julia urged me to hang it up rather than feel ashamed of it. So it’s hanging up in my home for the first tim