Skip to main content

Interview: Chris Watt

 


Chris Watt is a talented screen writer, author and film critic. Chris's movie script 'The Mire' is currently in pre-production. Chris talks about going from script to movie making, and also would ask others to help get involved in supporting the movie. Without further ado, here is our interview via email and social networks: 


BeautyTies: Welcome to our blog Chris. What inspired you to write The Mire script?        

Chris Watt: The Mire really came about through a series of discussions I'd had with the director Adam Nelson. He had spent the last six months interested in directing another screenplay of mine, a contained little horror thriller. However, during our discussions, that screenplay ended up being optioned by a producer, and so I came to Adam with a proposal to write something from scratch for him. He had a laundry list of subjects that he had always wanted to explore and the one that struck both of us as a good jumping off point was the nature of cults: how they work, the people they attract and, most vitally, the people behind them. I'm always attracted to what makes large personalities tick, the extrovert will more often than not have an origin that has made them the loudest voice in the room. And if that room is full of particularly vulnerable or easily manipulated people, what kind of damage can that do. But really, it was the hook of the plot that really caught the two of us. From the moment I proposed that it be the story of a conman, trapped in his own web of lies, I think both Adam and I knew we had something that could make a really fantastic, tight, gripping thriller. A psychological character piece.


BeautyTies: Covid has been tough on a lot of people last year and the start of 2021. How has it affected the movie?     

Chris Watt: The film was scheduled to start shooting in February, so, of course, it has ended up being pushed back. I believe the crew are aiming for April, but I think the whole industry is currently at the mercy of this virus. Most productions are up in the air, but from an insurance point of view it would be extremely difficult, not to mention risky, to start shooting during a pandemic.  Adam, the producer Tom Byrne and myself all have a stake in this picture, but at the end of the day, it's a film and if you have to choose between peoples safety and a film, it's a no brainer. What is interesting, from my perspective as a writer, is that my working schedules aren't impacted too severely, as I already work from home. And I wrote The Mire with an eye towards it being a Covid friendly shoot: one location, three actors. I've been writing a lot of scripts these last 9 months that have that same sensibility. 

BeautyTies: Is it already in production and began filming?   

Chris Watt:  We are in pre-production right now. The cast is locked and many of the crew are in place. The only footage that has been shot has been for the crowdfunder promo.

Antony Knight as Joseph Layton in The Mire

BeautyTies: How do you start going from a script to making a film from it? Can you explain the process to those who may be interested in this career?  

Chris Watt: It depends on what you want to achieve. I think if the script is good, it will find the right people, people who are passionate enough to really work hard to get it made. As hard as I work, and I write first drafts very quickly, I'm told, I often feel like I get the easier side of the bargain. I'm not a director (although I did go to film school) and I'm not a producer. I sit at a desk and make believe on a blank page. The logistics of what are on those pages has to be dealt with further down the line, by other people. The "business" side of the business is infinitely complicated, with so many factors. I'm more comfortable dealing with plot holes and character arcs. From my own perspective, I make a list of competitions I want to place the script into, and then see how well they are received. There are also a number of independent film producers and directors, not to mention other writers, out there who are kind enough to take a look at the script once it's in good shape. You often hear people say that it's all about who you know, and they're not completely wrong. The last six months have been a wonderful experience in terms of people being interested in my work, but if I hadn't had a producer option that first script, that snowball effect might never have happened. The best advice I can give to any aspiring screenwriter is get it read. Do your research and get it out there, because, especially at the moment, all filmmakers CAN do is read.

BeautyTies: If you could cast anyone in a movie you wrote, who would you choose?   

Chris Watt: I would love to write a film for Michelle Williams. I don't think there is a better actor of her generation working at the moment. I'm interested in stories about people, about people from all walks of life, so to have an actor as versatile as her would be a dream. There's no vanity to her work, she likes to show every colour of the character.  

Antony Knight who plays the main character Joseph Layton in The Mire

BeautyTies: What do you think makes a good movie?  

Chris Watt: It’s a tough industry to break. I've been knocking at the door for 10 years, but honestly, I'm not sure if there is any set pattern as to what makes a good movie. It has to tell a compelling story. It has to be about characters that we want to spend two hours watching. Films are far too over-reliant on effects and concepts that they forget the lessons we all learned from movements like the French New Wave or the American Independent scene of the 80s and 90s. Stories that explore, not just hide behind technique.

BeautyTies: How can people become involved in this movie?   

Chris Watt: We have currently got a crowdfunder over at IndieGogo (The Mire | Indiegogo) to help us facilitate the budget (which is micro to say the least). You can also follow the film's journey on twitter by following myself (@thechriswatt) the director (@AppleParkFilms) and producer (@FamStraFilms) . 

BeautyTies: Are there any perks from helping fund The Mire?  

Chris Watt: Yes, there are. Depending on which tier you donate in, there are t-shirts, online screenings, if you're a screenwriter we are offering notes and zoom calls to talk over your script, there are props from the film, soundtracks. The higher the amount, the more elaborate the perk. There are even producer credits available to those who want to donate a substantial amount. They're all listed on our crowdfunder page.

BeautyTies: Will you be looking to release the movie this year or next?

 Chris Watt: The idea is to have the film ready for nearer the end of the year, but obviously that will depend on where the country is at that point. We are keen to have the film play at festivals as well.

BeautyTies: What platform are you thinking of approaching to release the movie for those who want to see it? It sounds so intriguing

Chris Watt:  I think every filmmaker wants to see their work on the biggest screen they can, and it will all depend on distribution, which of course, depends on a company willing to distribute it once we're ready. The nature by which we consume films has changed so much in the streaming age that the options are far better online than in theatres, with Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, BFI, Sky,  but we are quietly optimistic that the film would play best to an audience, because this story has some great twists and turns that we want everyone to experience together. It will all depend where the communal experience of going to the movies sits once the dust of the pandemic settles.

BeautyTies would like to thank Chris for giving us this interview in his busy schedule. Below are links to Chris Watt's social media pages and The Mire crowdfund page. We love the process that goes into making independent movies. Fresh scripts and new faces. The Mire is a movie we are excited to see!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Haunting Memoir: Part one

 My story starts when I was a young child. I was born in Scotland but moved down to Somerset as a child. I loved it so much. I loved the flowers and the conkers I’d collect on the way to school. I remember all the frogs in my garden and how I'd name them. I moved twice down in England. The houses were always large and I’d get the rooms mixed up, trying to remember where to turn to find my bedroom. I would visit London where my relatives stayed. I loved the vibe of London. One visit to my Nans, we walked down to Church Street market and seeing so many interesting people. The one man with dreadlocks holding a large ghetto blaster on his shoulder playing Bob Marley passed me. I couldn’t get enough of the place. One stall had toys on it. I bought some wooden blocks and a handheld electronic mini piano. They were perfect mementos to remember my visit. When we returned to Scotland I unpacked and placed my electronic piano on my bedside table. It had colours on the notes and London Bridge

L’Oréal Revitalift

L’Oréal are an established company that have delivered quality beauty products for over a century . L’Oréal is a brand I can trust. I worked with L’Oréal by trying the Revitalift range of products over six months. This range offers more than the skincare I was using. I invite you to read more about Revitalift and my journey with this range. ~ Collette.      Revitalift is a range of products I had seen advertised and heard amazing feedback from others. I was thrilled when L’Oréal invited me to try these products over the lockdown months. I am in my 40’s and I struggled to find skincare that is effective. Lockdown has taken it’s toll on my skin. I have new wrinkles from tears and frustration like a lot of people. Firstly I tried their Revitalift Laser Renewal moisturiser. This was lovely and light on the skin. This moisturiser is the first moisturiser I used. It has a subtle colour to it that leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin. Revitalift Laser Renew is light on the skin. It gives skin a

Beauty Ties creator: Collette

  Hello BeauTies, I have always loved art from an early age. Taking photographs and drawing or painting. I have designed two wedding dresses for friends who got them made up. I've adored beauty products since I had my Victoria Plum nail polish and lip balm from Avon as a child. I love beauty products and how they make me feel. The colours and scents. I get so much joy from trying new products and photographing them. I skipped the afternoon one day at school and ended up in a movie. That was unexpected and it fuelled my passion for creativity and how things are made. It was an experience I will never forget. My name was taken by someone in the crew to go in the credits but when I saw the movie I was not on the credits, sadly. I will never forget the joy I got from being in it. Long days from early mornings and late finishes. The photo from the press shoot hangs in my hallway. Julia urged me to hang it up rather than feel ashamed of it. So it’s hanging up in my home for the first tim